Dounreay Site Restoration Limited (DSRL) is the site licence company responsible for the closure programme at Britain’s former centre of fast reactor research and development.
The Low Level Liquid Effluent Treatment Plant (LLLETP) receives waste from the various waste streams, treats and sentences it and then once a sufficient batch has been accumulated, discharges it to the sea into an outgoing tide.
The LLLETP is required to be continuously available in order to receive waste from its associated waste streams, which have little or no waste storage capacity. Therefore, it is vital that the control system has the availability to meet the operational requirements of the plant.
The key driver for the project was to replace the obsolete control system with a modern, flexible platform within a narrow window to ensure continued operation of the plant.
Servelec Controls undertook the following scope of work
- Replacement of the PLC control system with a Siemens S7-300 solution in duty-standby configuration
- Upgrade to the existing Wonderware InTouch SCADA licenses, applications and PC’s
- Design and supply of a new swing-frame to house the new PLC which had to replace the existing swing frame as space was at a premium
- Interface with the existing field signal conditioning modules
- Full system design and test based on reverse engineering the existing control scheme using in-house developed software tools to assist with the code migration
- Installation and commissioning of the new hardware and software on site